The Tests :


Our first major field test involved the main lift motor. We needed to determine whether or not it would have sufficient power to lift the body of the hovercraft. At first it appeared that the motor was severely lacking in force and speed, but then we realized that we were using the wrong kind of batteries. We had 6 volts, but the amperage was not enough. Following that we obtained the proper batteries and connected them to the motor. It was a success. The motor was more than adequate. The skirt filled with air and the body lifted. Our first challenge was overcome.

Our second major field test concerned the two proulsion motors. We needed them to be strong enouugh to push the hovercraft along the floor. First we had to somehow mount the motors to the body so that they could push air horizontally. To do this we used to plastic ice cream containers. We cut out holes for the motors and made areas for the air to flow through. We then taped the mounts to the body of the hovercraft. Unfortunately, the mounts were not sturdy and could not withstand the power of the motors. They would wobble and vibrate and they failed to meet expectations. Without a strong mount, the motors would not be able to push the hovercraft. To fix this, we created mounts from styrofoam. They are more sturdy then the flimsy plastic. With this correction, propulsion was possible.

Our third field test was to determine the best model for our skirt. Firstly we tried one continuous strip of plastic for the skirt, but that led to uneven sides and general instability. Next we tried to use four sides with overlapped corners, but that made the skirt too tight which impeded with it's ability to skim. Lastly we cut four side strips and then made a piece for each corner. This worked best. It helped the lift and allowed for easy propulsion.

Videos:

RCX Movement
HoverCraft Lift


MAIN PAGE